Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a tropical rain storm on the way here and it may rain HARD for a couple of days. Will this depleat the nectar and pollen in the area?

Should I feed my hive before and after the rain and if so for how long? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
make sure your lids are on tight, they will be fine for a couple of days, after the rain there will be even more flowers,
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
A single storm may wash off some nectar and pollen but usually, it won't affect the crop very much. It seems to be consecutive rains that hurt the bees. A storm comes, washes off pollen and nectar, sun comes out, the plants recover, the bees find food and the rain comes again. It's that cycle that seems to create problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all,
The rain is on the way this morning. I noticed last evening just before sundown Bees had absolutly coverd a flowering tree about 400 yards from the hive. It may be my imagination but they seemed almost franticly busy collecting goodies.

This morning there are none there. They must have a sense of the impending storm. Natures barometer. Too cool man.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Belize gets those consecutive rains that washes everything away. hehe

What part are you from? My parents used to be missionaries in Belize and I miss it greatly!

As long as the storms don't last for too long, you should be fine. But feed them until they stop taking it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We Live on the Cerros Peninsula In Northern Belize. There are several varieties of bees here. Tough , mean, africans to docile europeans. Easy to tell the difference. Either they are kamaksi or not I never bring psyco africans on to the peninsula .

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nice, I've not been to that part. Lived in Belmopan though and traveled all over from there including the islands.

I remember a little black stingless bee though. Also got to go see a few of the co-op beeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts