Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to make some pollen supplement patties with some pollen and defat soy flour.
I was told that this type of flour would have to be heated to make it digestible.
I was going to add a little water to it then put it in the microwave, does anyone know the general temperature it must be raise to?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.
As a reference for next time, where do you get full fat soy flour?

I had asked previously about using defat soy and was told to toast it.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234041&highlight=toast+soy

The process of chemically defatting soy flour does not appear to use any heat according to Wikipedia.
I also read that "full fat soy flour" is made from unextracted, dehulled beans. It does not appear that this would go though a heating process either, so I am a little confused.

I did try toasting some before but the bees didn’t seem to care much for it. I thought I might have over done it a bit, that's why I wanted to try the microwave.
If there is any harmful difference between defat and full fat, could anyone who has used defatted soy flower say how they processed it?
It seems a shame to waste if it can be of use, nobody here eats the stuff.

·
Registered
332 Posts
"full fat soy flour"
Look for "old process" soybean meal. When I was grinding and mixing feed for my dairy cows the bees would gather daily in the feed dust on the top of the grinder, I do not remember their feeding on this feed dust causing them any problems. I am thinking about putting a spoonful of soy flour on top of the frames???

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would think putting the patties in the microwave would be just as toxic as putting your food in the microwave. The microwave changes the moleculer structure of the food and creates toxins leading to ill health. This information is well known everywhere else on the planet and here in the US this information is suppressed just like the ill health of soymeal or soy flour. The ingestion of soy causes several problems in every animal and human that I am aware of. I am wondering if the wide use of industrial waste such as soy by-product is a contributing factor to the over all ill health of the bees, especially in the commercial bee keeping.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry rainesridgefarm, I guess you don’t heat yours (I must have lost focus after reading Wil's post).
Could someone who has experience in using defat soy please tell me the method used to heat the flour and how to tell when it has been cooked enough.
I would like to try it if it would remove some indigestible matter since its winter and cleansing flights are limited.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>As a reference for next time, where do you get full fat soy flour?

I buy it at the health food stores.

What I want is pollen but sometimes I just don't have enough so I sometimes mix it 50/50 with the soy flour when I'm short and the bees are really wanting pollen. What it takes to digest both pollen and soy is the right microorganisms in the hive. The best way to get those is not to kill them with oxalic acid, formic acid, thymol, essential oils, Terramycin, Tylosin, Fumidil etc.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I did a experiment with pollen supplement choices by putting them out in the open two feet from each other. They only visited some of them and rolled like crazy in the expelled soy meal. I used bee pro, feed bee, powdered soy milk, brewers yeast, soy flour and expelled soy meal. I had them 1-2 feet apart on plywood boards and this was in early april when they could get out and fly.

on the ill effects of soy. My wife has been a vegaterian for 35 years and is going to be 48 next year and looks like she is still under 21. She drinks soymilk or eats tofu almost every other day. lots of information on the ill effects but seeing is beliving...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I buy anymore soy flour I will try to get the expeller or full fat soy next time. It looks like they are eating what I pushed through some of the vents (these are observation hives) so maybe what I made up of this stuff will work for this time. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts