Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i grow up I want a heated shop to build hive parts in. the forecast is highs in the teens! argh bundle up like a eskimo and git r done.

Dan

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
nipco(sp?) or electric radiant heater($50.00) Make some walls using poly to confine your heat in the area you are working.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
My winter temps aren't anywhere near yours but I use a 20K btu kerosene heater to keep my shop comfortable. You can buy a new one for around a hundred bucks and it'll run all day on a gallon or so. No way I could work in your conditions.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I have a Harbor Freight propane infrared heater that works.
But, you are a lot colder.
You can feel the heat 8-10' away from the grid.
You might need to bake a baffel in the shape of an "L" to contain the heat.
Some old timers burn their old equipment in a wood stove.
Or, make an enclosed room with a vented wall heater.
Good Luck,
Ernie

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
I ran it yesterday for the first time. My shop/garage was 72F in about 15 minutes. Outside temperature was 15F.
Be careful with that thing. It's listed on the website for 'outdoor'. In an enclosed area that bad boy could suck the oxygen right out the the air....and CO (carbon monoxide) is bad news!!!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have seen that. I actually kept the garage door up about 6 inches and let it vent outside. But thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
NDnewbeek,
Spend another $15 and get yourself a carbon monoxide detector and put it in the shop with you. "C.O." is sneaky. You cannot smell it and your body does not realize that you are not getting oxygen. You just get sleepy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I need to post some photos, but we moved the honey operation into its new HQ this October. Radiant hydronic heated slab, 95% AFUE boiler, closed cell foam insulated walls & ceiling. The shop is used for other operations, also. This is truely a 'Cadillac' heating system. Not saying that it's too good for a honey house, but it was a little costly, although I dare anyone to show me a more efficient and effective means to heat a shop. Radiant floors are impossible to beat. The floor is nice and warm on your feet. At eye level it's mid-60°'s F and feels great. At the ceiling, the temp's are low 50°'s/high 40°F on a cold day. When you open the vehicle door, bring a truck or other items in and then close the door, the shop is warm again immediately. We've been in the teens and single digits for lows quite a few times this winter already. This past month, the 1100 sq. ft. shop with 16 ft ceiling cost around $44 for heat, lighting & water heating. Ligthing is high output T-8 lamps.

Several deer were processed along with projects, like building Christmas presents, etc. have been done in there. It's nice to have a nice place... finally. Only problem is that it's my brother's shop and not mine!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Not only do I build bee equipment and do general woodworking in my shop, I also have three antique vehicles in it, along with gas and oil. The problem with non-electric heat is the danger of fire or explosion.

Woodworking forums also warn of sawdust being combustible under the right conditions. So be aware... also have at least one good fire extinguisher, you never know when you'll need it. And don't ask me how I know....:doh: I'll only say it was a very small fire.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Not only do I build bee equipment and do general woodworking in my shop, I also have three antique vehicles in it, along with gas and oil. The problem with non-electric heat is the danger of fire or explosion.

Woodworking forums also warn of sawdust being combustible under the right conditions. So be aware... also have at least one good fire extinguisher, you never know when you'll need it. And don't ask me how I know....:doh: I'll only say it was a very small fire.
Regards,
Steven
More reasons we chose the system of in-slab radiant hydronic heat with and a 95% AFUE boiler. All combustion air is taken from the exterior through a PVC pipe rather than being consumed from within the heated structure. No open flame, no interior fumes consumed by the heat source & no fans or blowers moving dust around. No temperature stratification of a cold floor and a hot ceiling. Safe, clean, efficient, quiet, ... OK I'm bragging now, but it is a cool system. Since I've gone from the field into consulting, I missed having a part in these sort of systems. Now, instead of just design them, I got to install my first one in almost four years. It felt good to sweat a primary/ secondary loop network together again. If you make sawdust, you really need a collection system for health and safety. They don't have to break the bank to be good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts