Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st yr beek.
With last week and the coming week of 90's here in Massachusetts what is that going to do to the nectar flow?

When will I know if there IS a Nectar flow. I have not learned when what blooms yet and being in suburbia, and a crappy neighborhood where no one plants anything, I don't see what is in the woodland close by that the Bees go to.

I stopped feeding mid last week. They had been taking about 4 Liters every 4 days, my guess as I only open 1 per week.
I don't care about feeding as I am not taking honey or anything else from them this year, Just want them to fill out Foundationless Frames.

I do have Water around the yard for them, and a shade cloth over the Hives. I even propped up the top to vent MORE until this afternoon when I saw a Brown Wasp trying to go in !

Should I feed due to the Heat? I will have to feed away from the Hive though just need to know how far away I should do it?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Linda, if you open feed.. I'd say 75 yards away is good. As far as what the bees are bringing in on your flow.. I'm in bama, and can say that the bees are going to find any plant that we think is a weed and exploit it. Look in areas that no one goes to allot, there will bee weeds, and blooms. The wooded area, will be a great source of pollen, and nectar in early spring, and fall. Maples, birch,willow, ect.. I would try ringer them to draw comb, splits do good job screens queen emerges. How big is your hive? Sometimes you can do these and actually get more comb drawn. The bees know what they need, and sometimes feeding when there is a flow on can back up the hive. Also, it would be nice to get a few frames of honey from the hive in first year. I did allot of splits my first year, and comb was built mainly from them . How many hives do you have? 1 hive will not produce allot of excess comb in my opinion. I'd take some of that syrup your feeding, put itnin freezer till after your fall flow is over. Take their honey and give them all that mixed syrup/nectar for winter. You can harvest honey in first year. I pulled 3 slap full boxes, all capped and very nice . Fed the bees after I pulled honey. They didnt mind at all. You can look over my notes for last 3 seasons on here. Is really a journal, and some good ideas and replies with lots of good advice from some well respected friends here, and in the hobby/trade. Do strong splits when ya can, and harvest the honey, and treat your bees, and go e em some pollen party . Grow the bees, and you will get the honey too. also, everyone wants lots of drawn frames. The bees only can make so many. Extras come down the road when you have several hive up and going. Dead outs are the best source of drawn comb and leftover resources. Rich

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Linda, I do not know the flow in MA, but the bees do. You can tell a lot just by watching the entrance. If it looks like the bees can't get in and out of the hive fast enough, the flow is on. Layer in the summer when the girls are just hanging out on the landing board, you know it is over and the is very little for them to collect. Our flow just ended here in VA, so I imagine that yours should be starting already. A strong hive can draw out and fill a super in a matter of a week or so. You do want to keep an eye on the supers and add boxes underneath as they fill.

My first nuc provided me with 32# of honey that year, so you can get something. Whatever you take though, you will need to give back as syrup.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, they are in and out Fast, pollen at first and now about maybe 10-20% have pollen coming in but I am not watching all day.
It was a GANG buster just after I got them on May 3rd, gave lots of room to grow and syrup.
I split them on June 7th, walk away, had no idea who had Queen as they both were calm with me on June 12th. I gave both eggs and at 5 days the one I suspected to be Q-L had a bunch of QC but not capped yet. I have not been in it since because I don't want to squish the 4 QC I left in there (#1 Hive).
Yesterday I gave #1 a frame of Med brood from #2 just to make sure they had Nurse bees around, there was still some brood in the Med too. I didn't go in the Deep because, again I didn't want to squish the QC I left. I also checker-boarded that Med and added another checker-boarded med on top of that so when the New Queen comes they have plenty of room.
I had taken off the feeder in hopes that they wouldn't be syrup filled and no room for laying.
Original Queen (#2 Hive), I just added a Med Super and moved frames into the Deep with a QE on so I can keep her down there. I didn't find her but did shake all frames into the bottom. They were fanning at the entrance before I was done doing that so I know she was in there. I found that She will lay all over , even if there is honey above her.

So 2 hives, one virgin queen should be emerging around Monday this week I hope. Wish I was home to see when she goes on her Mating Flight and hope she goes in the CORRECT HIVE as there are next to each other, 2 feet apart due to room constraints.
They both have plenty of stores in the hive at this time so I just hope that we get some rain soon. I don't want to feed on the other side of the house because we have ants :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
she goes in the CORRECT HIVE as there are next to each other, 2 feet apart due to room constraints.
do not worry about. when mating in mini-nucs - there are entrances only inches apart and they find their way back.
In Worcester, Ma - main honey flow not started yet. Black locust and Linden not opened their flower buds yet. We had nice spring flow but at this moment isn't that strong.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do not worry about. when mating in mini-nucs - there are entrances only inches apart and they find their way back.
In Worcester, Ma - main honey flow not started yet. Black locust and Linden not opened their flower buds yet. We had nice spring flow but at this moment isn't that strong.
Thank you, I was a bit worried about it. Hoping that maybe she does her flights next weekend so I can sit out and watch.
If temps go back to normal, when do you think the Main flow will come? Can you point me to a link that helps with this area and Flows? I would appreciate it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hoping that maybe she does her flights next weekend so I can sit out and watch.
- good luck. virgin queen is almost same size as regular bee worker.
Can you point me to a link that helps with this area and Flows?
- check it out -https://pollinator.cals.cornell.edu/sites/pollinator.cals.cornell.edu/files/shared/documents/Beekeeping%20Calendar%20for%20the%20Northeast.pdf - west of NE but helpful. Also Check your Middlesex County Beekeepers Association web-pages - best source of infos - talking with local beekeepers.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
The bee’s from the virgins hive will nasonov on the landing board so the newly mated queen will find the correct hive. Google northeast honey bee plants that will give you a list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts