Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering investing in a heat gun to uncap honey frames and am wondering if anyone recommends a good wattage? It seems that 1500W is pretty standard ... is that enough?

Registered
I used one on my first extraction this year. It was a 750/1500 W heatgun. I tried the lower setting which got me nowhere quickly. Set it to HI and that did the trick.

Now for the next thing you should know about using a heat gun. The wax melts readily and easily, it also resolidifies quickly. What this means is that it will reseal some of the cells after you uncap them. Makes for a pain in the extractor when frames blow out from the force.

I switched to the Mann Lake cell punch roller. Works like a charm, no mess and very quick.

Registered

Registered
I used one on my first extraction this year. It was a 750/1500 W heatgun. I tried the lower setting which got me nowhere quickly. Set it to HI and that did the trick.

Now for the next thing you should know about using a heat gun. The wax melts readily and easily, it also resolidifies quickly. What this means is that it will reseal some of the cells after you uncap them. Makes for a pain in the extractor when frames blow out from the force.

I switched to the Mann Lake cell punch roller. Works like a charm, no mess and very quick.
This sounds pretty cool.... Based on your experience, do you get many cappings in the honey? I am using the heat gun approach and really like that I don't have to deal with cappings..... Am wondering if the roller punch is the same..... Also, I have heard that there is a tendency for these to clog after a bit..... What has been your experience?

Registered
This sounds pretty cool.... Based on your experience, do you get many cappings in the honey? I am using the heat gun approach and really like that I don't have to deal with cappings..... Am wondering if the roller punch is the same..... Also, I have heard that there is a tendency for these to clog after a bit..... What has been your experience?
Heat gun of course didn't produce any capping mess to deal with, however the blowouts made up for that. With the roller punch I had very few as in maybe a cup's worth of cappings to deal with instead of a bowl full of blow out, and the cell punch itself does get a bit clogged after using it for a while. I just rinsed off the cappings in the sink and started again. Took me all of about 3 min to deal with it. I myself am sold on the roller punch.

Registered
Heat gun of course didn't produce any capping mess to deal with, however the blowouts made up for that. With the roller punch I had very few as in maybe a cup's worth of cappings to deal with instead of a bowl full of blow out, and the cell punch itself does get a bit clogged after using it for a while. I just rinsed off the cappings in the sink and started again. Took me all of about 3 min to deal with it. I myself am sold on the roller punch.
Thanks! Definitely sounds like it might be worth a look....;- )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts