Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to purchase an electric uncapping knife to speed up the process of extracting. For the price I am going to spend what I need to get a set thermostat knife, not the adjustable temperature model. I read that the knife I may purchase may reach 160 degrees, I am not sure how close it gets to that during continuous use or what the normal operating temperature really is. I would assume that it stays at the same temperature as all the other pre set temperature models. Does the short amount of time it takes to uncap one side of a frame and the small amount the knife has in contact with honey really affect the honey in a bad way that people spend $50 more for an adjustable one? I would like to save $50 if possible but not do a bad move in keeping my honey "natural." Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have the knife without the thermostat and I don't see why you would need the thermostat. I uncapped 81 frames last weekend and never unplugged the knife. I do use a wet rag to wipe it off after every 20 frames or so.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
juzzer..... The short answer is, yes. Pay the extra $50.00 and get the box type thermostat.

If you did nothing but uncap, uncap, uncap, you would likely keep the temperature in the 120 degree range. But, if you stop for just a few seconds the knife temperature begins to creep upward. If you stop for 3 minutes to load / unload the extractor, It will really heat up. You will be able to see honey dancing on the blade.

I have 3 of the knives from Kelly. They have the thermostat box. I set the box on 6 to uncap. If I stop for even 15 seconds, I reach over and turn the dial to 2. That keeps the knife from heating up too much. When I return to uncapping I move the dial to 6 and start uncapping again..

If you do not have the adjustable dial, you will find that you will need something like an in-line on / off switch to keep it from overheating. I don't like to cut it off, it will take longer to reheat, as the knife will cool quickly. I would rather just turn it down. The knife will stay warm enough to uncap the first frame and by placing the dial on 6 it will heat back up quickly.

Many years ago there was a knife made by Pierce, and it did not seem to overheat too badly, but, I like the thermostat box. Just my opinion. Others may have different opinions.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
776 Posts
I was just wandering.... if you put the knife in cold water for a few minutes while you did what ever you needed to do and then gave it a wipe down before you started up again would that help regulate the temperature?

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
No! Remember it's an electric knife. Our rule was always to unplug if walking away for more than a minute. Cleo gave some really good advice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have both types of knives. I got them from Dadant. The one with the thermostat burns honey realy bad and I can't get it to udjust the heat down. The non thermostat knife never burns honey but is a little trickier to uncap deep frames with. A few days ago I ran 27 boxes in 7 hours non stop with the non thermostat knife and never burned any honey. A trick to keeping the heat regulated is to stick the knife into your wax pile while you load or unload the extractor. Also I think you are supposed to heat the knife for 5 minets before you use it every time you turn it on.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
beesohappy... I think that could be both, dangerous and hard on the knife. The knife is supposed to be liquid proof, but, if the weld on the blade was to become bad, you would be sticking an electric cord in water. Not good. Putting a hot knife into a container of cold water would likely damage the knife if you did it very often.

Some electricians on here may be able to comment better on this, but, my first thoughts are, I would not do that. I would be interested in hearing what the electricians have to say.

cchoganjr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts