Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a hot hive in a hot state. I'm mega paranoid because the girls love to cover every square inch of me they can, so I suit up, sometimes with triple layers (suit counts as one). Is this necessary? I feel that once I'm stung once, I'm vulnerable and prone to get stung many more, and trust me, my bees aren't giving up when I say quit.
How much can I trust under my suit at least (Mann Lake)?
Also, without boots, how can I protect near around my ankles?
Lastly, the mesh behind my veil touches my neck, how can I protect my neck (and keep cool)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wear a sun/safari style hat under your veil to hold it away.
As to your ankles, Velcro works well. Mann lake sells some or you can easily make your own. I usually don't get the bees to travel much below my knees though.
As to the layers, even my hottest hive hasn't got me through my Mann lake vented jacket with a t -shirt underneath. Not saying it will never happen but I think you might be overdoing it. Be careful about so many layers at your location.... heat stroke wouldn't be pleasant.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
As hot as I get in my suit, I'd gas a hive before I had to put on 3 layers of clothes. Requeen those things.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I agree with Brad Bee, if they are going after you like that, you need to requeen them. I worry about kids or animals that stumble into them. They are way to aggressive. I'm requeening a hive this weekend, 4 others I can walk around or remove the top and not wear any protection. I often work them without gloves thou I usually wear a veil. I ordered a ventalited suit, not here yet, for those days when you've really got to tear into a hive. Like when you have to requeen a mean hive and you have to find the queen....

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
You do use smoke right?

Does your queen lay right to the edges of the frames? Do the bees act runny on the frames as you inspect them? Just curious

It does sound like they have AHB genes.

If it was me I would requeen from a nicer hive in my yard, or I would buy a gentle mite resistant, hygienic queen.

I would also try to work the bees first thing in the morning when it’s cool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a pair of "gaiters" from REI, meant for hiking. Primarily because I'm always scared a curious one will somehow crawl down into my boots while I'm inspecting. Maybe overkill, but there's no chance of getting stung on the ankle!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought it was better to inspect a hive in the afternoon when a lot are out gathering. Mornings do look quieter when its cool. Should I do my inspections then?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
It's usually best to inspect when they are busy. When they are quiet, everyone is home with nothing else to distract them but you...

I would requeen any hive that is hotter than I want. Just make sure it is not just strong with a lot of confused bees in the air. Bees in the air mean nothing. Bees pinging off your veil and following you a long ways are "angry".

http://bushfarms.com/beesrequeeninghot.htm

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've definitely got some "angry" bees then. I'm going to give them some time to cool down, but any other ideas for keeping cool and well covered? I've got a Mann lake normal suit

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
When I help another beekeeper in my area I fully suit up (never do more than put on a veil in my own apiary), some of his hives are extremely hot. Gaiters, jacket, and gloves keep me from getting stung but my camelback lets me sweat like a man and not pass out while helping to inspect hundreds of hives without taking my jacket off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great! Camelbaks an awesome idea! Is it inside or outside the suit? Also how do you get the tube to your mouth for a sip?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ahh, dealing with temps in the triple digits and an agressive hive.

The night before you plan to go into the hive, fill the camelback 1/2 full of water and wet down a towel then roll it up length wise, insert both into freezer. When you get ready fill the camelback the rest of the way with water, put the frozen towel around your neck, then suit up.
The towel and camelback will help keep you cool and hydrated. Also, if there is a breeze a spray bottle with water can help turn your veil into a swamp cooler.

If the the hive is not AHB requeening would be wise however, if they are AHB I would not requeen. IMHO, it is a waste of a queen as they tend to replace her as soon as they have eggs to do so. If you have another calm hive and you are looking to increase your hives, the following has worked for me. Place a drone frame in the calm hive. When you see drones, kill the AHB queen and split the AHB hive into as many nuc's as you have frames of eggs or larva of the right age to raise a queen. I usually was able to get 3 nuc's. I tried to time this with either the mesquite or cotton blooms. Just repeat as needed to 'dilute' the AHB genes to a more acceptable temper.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Under the jacket lol :) I run the tube over my shoulder and stick it into a kerchief that's tucked into the front of my shirt. Temps hit 100 by 10:30 here.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Great! Camelbaks an awesome idea! Is it inside or outside the suit? Also how do you get the tube to your mouth for a sip?
I wear a long sleeve shirt and a cowboy hat and a vail and gloves. I drink through the mesh just fine. Camel pack is over kill and will make your back sweat under the pack. You get stung sure just yell ouch lecture them about stinging you and keep going. If they are pinging all over you try more smoke or a spritz of sw in a sprayer when you open them. That will keep them busy cleaning themselves while you work them. Take a break climb in your truck and let them calm down or work a different hive on the other side of the yard.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Get to know another bee keeper or join a local club. When someone in our local club has a lot to do with their hives and the weather is hot we get 3-4 of us together and go through the hives a lot faster with the help of others. It can be a great learning experience also talking things over as the process goes on. Three people working on even a large hive can get finished really fast and then it's time to get out of those suits! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts