Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get a nurse bees into a queen cage? I got the queen bee in there without any problem, but it was next to impossible to heard the nurse bee in there. If there some kind of trick to it?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine (nurse bees) kept running in and then running out and flying off.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Once you have the queen in the cage hold in your left hand with index finger over hole. Catch attendants with right hand by wings, quickly open hole and stick her head in. As she enters put finger back over hole. Repeat 5 times. Depending on type cage used you have to be careful how you hold the cage because the attendants can sting thru the cage.

Johnny

·
Registered
194 Posts
I cant believe how the Fat BeeMan just grabs them as he does to put them in the box. I am all armored up when opening a hive and cant imagine being brave (crazy?) enough to just grab some bees by hand. I am clearly not worthy.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I never went bare handed until I started raising queens. If you are going to cage queens you have to be able to catch bees with your fingers. My fingers were sooo sore after my first queen catching day and I only had to catch 8 queens. The queens are pretty easy other than being scared of squeezing one too hard and so far I've never been stung by a queen. But, the workers do take some practice. I couldn't imagine trying to herd them into the cage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I grab them by the wings. You want heir head pointing towards you when you gt them. Once in a blue moon ill get stung on the finger just as hy are going in the hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts