Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
Few people realize that NJ has the highest population per square mile of black bear of the lower 48 states. Every county (including those right across NY harbor) has had human bear interactions. The bear will be coming out of hibernation as the weather warms up, hungry and focused of getting food-hives are food.
Per sq mile is not how to figure "highest population ". Here is a link for bear pop per state.

By the way, DON'T bait if you want them away from your hives 馃檮. I am also against baiting Any animal for hunting purposes.... why not just go shoot in the zoo, it's hunting. Hunters that do that are cheating in my book and I can't say here what I think of them....... sorry off my soap box now

Registered
Just a follow up as the data sited for NJ is 7 years old. Current population is estimated at well over 5000 animals-quite a few in a small State and 2020 harvest, despite COVID, was 426 animals. Bear hunting has been a political football in NJ and depending on the Governor, has been periodically suspended based on politics rather than science. Additionally, several of the larger northeastern counties do not allow hunting due to population density. I am not a hunter although I own firearms and was a competitive shooter. Years ago, I qualified with the military with consistently being able to do a 4" pattern at 800 meters. As close as I got to hunting was having a gopher in my wife's garden in the crosshairs of a .22 then shifting over to a shattering a bean pole a foot away from the beast. Never did get him, didn't see the point when push came to shove. I also got a 6 pointer with my Land Rover when he ran out into traffic during the rut. I guess the real part of my statement is we have several counties here with larger human populations than many states-a top of the food chain preditator mixing in is usually a big deal. Bee yards, large or small, urban or rural are at risk.

Registered
The clips with bacon work well because they conduct the electricity. It has to hit the skin of their mouth or tongue to be effective. Yes we do have many bears. I live in a town called West Milford and I probably see one every other week roaming around. Remember our wonderful Governor limited hunting access for the bear hunt and now is talking about stopping it all together. I would never like to see them hunted to extinction, but when you walk outside your house in the morning and they are there to greet you, it can be a little unnerving. Not to mention, you can't put your garbage out until the morning they pick up. Never leave it in your shed or they will rip the door off. I personally don't hunt bear, but controlling the population in a densely populated area is important.

Registered
You dont bait with something that will draw the bears from a long distance. Just something he can smell from 10 - 20 feet when he comes close. If he walks into it focused on the hive (which he could smell for a mile) he is apt to rip it up getting out or going on through. A bears fur is good insulation but he has none on his nose or tongue!馃槢 He will pause, and sniff or lick the dangling bait and he will do a back flip and tear up clumps of grass accellerating out of there. I use squares of aluminum foil wrap about 6 or 8 inches on a side and fold up a piece of meat about the size of the first joint of your little finger into a pouch about an inch wide and double over and hang on the wire. I do similar around my corn patch for bears and the raccoons otherwise it is a total loss.

This mini baiting is very effective, in fact essential. Well debated too.

Registered
No sir, the deer have been fine. I have had a few hawks attack my chickens, but they survived by the grace of God. The truth is, for the large number of bears as we have around, I really don't have too many issues. Either I have been lucky or baiting the fence has worked. The reality is an electric fence would never stop a hungry black bear on a mission. Hell, they break into homes around here when they are really hungry. I do know the only time I had one get into my bee yard was when I accidentally forgot to turn my fence back on. I actually, just changed the battery that day and tightened all the wires. I went back up a few days later and three of my twelve hives were decimated. I had them ratcheted strapped to concrete blocks and they still ended up 50 feet in the woods. Three full hives with three supers. All I found were broken boxes, broken frames and foundation and a lot of bear crap.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts