Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got what i needed to make a batch of hbh for my bees, but realized i got liquid lecithin rather than granules. is it okay to substitute? I tried making a batch but didn't get far, the liquidy syrup doesn't seem to dissolve, brought water up to just about boiling. Any tricks? or do i just need granules...

I made my own screened bottom board after witnessing my bees drag out dead brood that didn't make it out of the comb ( varroa mites ). And seeing many more dead on the ground in front of the hive. So i went to Home depot and the choice was either 1/4 inch steel mesh or screen door ( which i figured was way to small). I thought maybe if the 1/4inch was to big i could double it up and run the second off center of the first...or should i just try to find 1/8th inch screen? Any idea where?
I cut grooves in for a slide tray so i can check varroa levels...got the old bottom board under a magnifying glass and find several mites.

would love any feed back ! thanks )

Pablo

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Ace Hardware usually carries #8 screen, but you may have to order it. Window screen defeats the primary purpose of the SBB if you plan on using it for mite counts. 1/4" screen lets the bees go through and other bugs come in.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I get my #8 at Ace too. Lot's of home style lumber yards and other local hardware stores carry it. McMaster Carr has it if you need to order it online.

Get the granules. The liquid sucks. I soak my granules in a little bit of water for a few hours or overnight. I blend my home made HBH in a food processor or blender with the soaked granules. Works really good for me.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Your local herb stores will most likely have it. Whole Foods carries it. The brand I like is Aura Cacia.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yes you can double up the 1/4 inch screen off center to make 1/8" SBB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts