Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a screen between my "roof" and the top super which became loaded with propolis. I have removed the two supers in order to split my hive. Now I want to clean up that screen. The hive tool removes some but not that which is in the screen itself. Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
Alcohol will dissolve propolis. How best to apply that alcohol to the screen may require some experimentation. Try a soaked rag, maybe?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I assume you don't want to save it -- if you do want to save it for consumption, the alcohol needs to be fit for consumption.

I would try freezing which will make it brittle instead of gooey--which works if you can twist it (like a plastic propolis trap). if you can't twist, some of it may "shake" off with a good sharp rap or two, which would leave less to dissolve.

I clean my hive tool with bleach that softens the propolis and might be cheaper than alcohol -- just dip the whole screen in.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Perhaps the propolis is a sign the screen is not necessary. I would try freezing

A razorblade always cleans my j-hook hive tool back to new, takes less than a minute.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I've made horizontal frames with screening for the express purpose of collecting the propolis in the same way you did accidentally. I harvest it by removing the screen from the frame and putting it inside a plastic bag and freezing it as mentioned. It then mostly breaks free easily by crumpling up the screen.

Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts