Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, everyone! We just came back from a trip to Hawaii, spending a week on Oahu. I was wondering why there in paradise, I couldn't hardly find any honeybees, but carpenter bees sure abounded. There are oodles of flowers blooming all over the place there, yet I only saw one lone honey bee foraging at Hanuama Bay. I didn't see one bee in Waikiki or Honolulu by my keenly trained eye. My eyes did spot quite a few bikini babes and that got me off track once in a while. My wife about had it with me commenting on 'where are all the bees?' when we were out and about. Same thing with the bikinis.

I met some nice folks selling honey and other products at the farmer's market in the International Market in Waikiki. They told me of the blessings and challanges of keeping bees in paradise. Apparently, varroa has arrived in great numbers to the islands. They were a really nice couple originally from Chicago who moved 3 years ago to Oahu. I bought some excellent wildflower honey from them.

Two days later at the Lei Day Festival, we got a jar of Macadamia honey, but haven't tried it yet. The vendor was not a bee keeper, but was what we call a re-seller. He had some excellent coconut, pineapple and many other sauces. We decided to bring several bottles of sauces home. On each container of sauce, it said "refrigerate after opening". However, the same statement was on the macadamia honey container. I told him it wasn't recommended to refrigerate honey and he said "I'm no beekeeper, the labels are all printed with the same warning message for all our sauces. I didn't know that about honey". He was an extremely nice fellow, and admitted it wasn't his honey but I sure made his day buying so many jars of sauces! Unless I'm mistaken, would macadamia nut honey need refrigeration for some reason or was I correct in advising him to remove that statement on his honey products?

Hawaii is known for honey bees and queen breeding, but I really figured I would see more bees foraging around. Perhaps the cities don't allow hives or another theory - the bees were simply out enjoying the beach like everyone else instead of foraging. Third theory - they spray so much to kill off the bugs that bother tourists and the bees have become collateral damage.

On a side note, I do highly recommend anyone who gets the opportunity to travel to state #50 - DO IT! The scenery is amazing. But if you do, bring every single dollar you can get your hands on and then some - things are just a tad pricey over there! I've never seen a $30 cheesburger before. Of course, that wasn't at Burger King, either... I think theirs are only about $10 there.:p

1 - 1 of 1 Posts