Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flowers in my areas have reduced significantly, and they haven't been drawing out the new supers I put on so I decided to put the hive top feeder back on. I put the syrup on yesterday and today one hive was actively feeding, and my other hive was just kinda feeding. Does this mean that I am correct in feeding them right now? My understanding is that if there is nectar out there, they will not feed on the syrup. I guess in general, when should I feed them?

On a side note, I saw them "washboarding" for the first time today. Does this mean anything (nothing else to do)? There were less than 50 bees at each hive doing this.

James Cook

·
Registered
44 Posts
If they have plenty of stores in the brood areas then it is not necessary to feed them. Your nectar flow may be over for the year. If you want them to draw out the foundation for a possible flow this fall, then it is OK to feed them now. Just know, you will have drawn foundation full of sugar syrup that will have to be extracted before you can use it for them to store honey in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts