Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a package of bees two or three weeks ago on new foundation. The Queen was released ok. Checked back on that hive today and had 4 frames of drawn comb. One frame was mostly pollen and honey (sugar syrup) but three of the frames were all drones!! At first I thought I must have "Laying Workers" but then I noticed there was only one egg in each cell directly in the middle of each cell. So, I figured I had a drone laying queen. I suppose she must have not mated sucessfully prior to coming my way with the package of bees?

So, this is what I did... I secured a new caged queen from a local queen breeder. Then I opened up the hive and found/destroyed the old queen that came with the package and put the new queen in (in her queen cage). I shook the bees off the three frames of drones and replaced those frames of mostly solid drone comb with new wax foundation.

I hope this new queen will be accepted and they get off to a better start now. If she is not accepted, I suppose I may have to combine them with another hive. Since I have never had this happen with a package of bees before, I wanted to share this with others. I hope I took the appropriate corrective measures. Has this ever happened to you?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Not that package bees were at fault but because you got a faulty queen. It happens occasionally. Some queen producers will cage their queens before they see capped brood. They just look for eggs in a good pattern. Some just look for eggs and cage their queens.

If the drone brood you have is in worker sized cells you can put the drone brood frames back in the hive after you have given the brood time to die. The workers will chew out the dead brood and the queen(your new good one) will lay in it fine. That way your aren't totaly destroying the work that was done drawing out that foundation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may put those Drone bound frames in the freezer overnight and back to the hive the next day, the bees will clean up unwanted material and proceed to business as usual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts