Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a large amount of honey bees in my oak trees and the tree sounds alive sometimes!

I have looked for a natural hive in the tree but really don't know what I am looking for. Would it be in a hole? Gosh these three trees are huge.

I tried following a few of the bees but man they are fast.

Any suggestions? Perhaps they are from someone elses hives but I haven't seen any around. Could I put out a hive for them or something so I could get some honey?

Thanks,
Ellie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just re read my post. The thing is, I have hundreds of bees and don't know where their hive is. I'm wondering if I have a natural one.

Ellie

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Ellie,
From what I've seen down here in the live oaks. Its usually a hole or slot in the tree from where there used to be a branch years before.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Might not be a hive. There different creatures that inhabit oaks. Aphids feed on and in turn secrete sugary solutions,, I believe there are some galls related to wasps that secrete some sugary stuff. Probabaly others I'm not familiar with. Look for that

rick SoMd

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you know they are honey bees and they are there all the time you have a colony in the tree. If they swarm they may go in a hive otherwise,no you would have to trap them out. They don't require a very big hole to get in a hollow tree.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
They could be from a feral colony anywhere within a 2-5 mile radius, or they could be from a beekeeper within the same radius. You could put out a bait hive but you won't catch them unless the colony decides to swarm and they pick your trap to go to. Unless you can figure out where the colony is then you're pretty much relegated to having bees working your oaks for free. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts