Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make a small batch of facial cream. I have read some recipes here and there and have a basic idea of what to do, but since I am the type to veer off of recipes and experiment, do you have any do's and don'ts you might share so I don't ruin the batch? Tips are very welcome as are recipes. Thanks, J

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It occurred to me that I should post a basic recipe I will work off of:
Beeswax from cappings.
Fractionated coconut oil
1:8 ratio beeswax to oil?
Jojoba oil
Small (unsure of amount) of essential oils in some batches. Lemongrass, lavender? Majority unscented
Open to different oils, but I have found fractionated coconut oil to be good to work with.
Interested in making an exfoliant batch. What to use? Propolis? Pine resin?
Obviously, open to ideas.
This is for personal/family use, not something I plan on selling. J

·
Registered
732 Posts
Having 2 ladies in my house this interests me. They have all kinds of options in the bathroom.

"Interested in making an exfoliant batch. What to use? Propolis? Pine resin?" I believe they have some with Sea Salt and some with Sugar.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I tried propolis in mine, and it was more trouble than it was worth.

I use the microwave rather than a double boiler. Melt the wax first then add other ingredients.

I likewise use olive oil and jojoba oil, and have added oiive oil as well (sorrow, I don't have the ratios with me here). Take it easy with any essential oils, but tea tree and lavendar were well received.

Reactions: Fivej

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I use grapeseed oil in mine because of the high vitamin E content. Also extra virgin olive oil.
A coworker of mine uses it for her son's eczema, says it keeps him from scratching at night.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great tips. Thanks everyone. I will report back on my successes and failures. It's been too cold to start my "experiments" J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts