Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 colonies
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept about 30 Queen excluders on the truck last year but I couldn't find any good way to keep them together and nice and tidy yet accessible, and they always seemed at risk of getting damaged. Just wondering how you guys carry around a stack of Queen excluders?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don’t often have a need for queen excluders but I actually keep mine on the hive year round right under the lid above the “inner cover”.

·
Registered
240 colonies
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t often have a need for queen excluders but I actually keep mine on the hive year round right under the lid above the “inner cover”.
Hi Jarred, seems like that could be a good solution especially with telescopic covers and wood hives. I use polystyrene and because the fit with queen excluders is less than perfect it would let in too much air/wind.

·
Registered
240 colonies
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked high and low for a milk crate style box but the widest dimensions i can find stop at 16 inches and excluders are just a bit over 16.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
stand them up on end in an empty deep box. The short side of the queen excluder should fit in the long direction of a angstrom box

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
Same problem here Calkal, excluders are the worst for sliding around, creating a mess, getting damaged, or falling off the truck and getting lost.

What I do is keep them in the cardboard box they came in. Only drawback is if it rains and disintegrates the box. If that happens I go with Elmers suggestion and put them end up in a super, but that is a hassle as it has to be properly secured with some kind of tie or it eventually falls over and the excluders go everywhere.

No perfect solution I think. I do leave my excluders on the hives year around, and do cleanup work on site with a blowtorch. The only excluders I carry on the truck are for replacing any past due date ones I come across.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Lowes has a large selection of really nice Craftsman totes. Stop in on your way home, borrow a measuring tape off the display, and go find a tote, keeping in mind that there are three way you can store the excluders, on their side, on their end, or flat. After you find the tote be sure to return the measuring tape.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My neighbor is a recycler and I picked up a few of these years ago.
Perfect for excluders ,inner covers, escapes etc.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I made a box the same dimensions as a telescoping cover using 1x4 for the sides. No lid necessary if stored under cover.

Alex

·
Registered
240 colonies
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes building a box is sounding better and better. What I like about that is the excluders could sit on a stack which seems like is my preference. I'm not much of a builder, seems like box joint would be good and strong, but I've never done this maneuver before.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You might want to make it with thin board for less weight. I was thinking if you could find a plastic box with lid might be a better option. The Container Store, if still in business, might have something

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wrap a ratchet strap around a stack of excluders and it holds them all together when moving them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts