Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we had a storm front come through this morning and it's cool and windy now after 3 days of high seventies and eighties.

there has been foraging of nectar and pollen that's been no less strong than main flow here. every bee loaded and many bees per second pushing into the entrances.

the pollen has been varied with least 4 or 5 distinct colors and varying sizes of the loads being brought in.

it's right around 60 degrees right now and there's a cold breeze. too cool for gathering pollen and nectar but plenty warm to break cluster and make the 100' flight to the pond for water. lot's of bees at the pond right now and they are using the water to dilute last fall's honey for broodrearing and at the same time they're making room in the supers for this year's crop.

i noticed that one of my strong hives was removing some of the bright yellow pollen that has been coming in lately. you can tell that they had compacted it into a pollen cell but then removed it and dropped it out of the entrance.

i've never seen this before and i was wondering what might be the reasons for them to do that?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Could it be old pollen by any chance? It's a protein that will break down over time, and I'm wondering if it's out with the old and in with the new?

Edited Sorry, just reread where you say they're removing the bright yellow 'NEW' pollen. I've got nothing.

Tony P.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe they can smell a problem with it? Maybe the smell that it has car pollution, poison, or something else on it. Just guessing. Here we have so much pollen that I have to take full frames of pollen out so the queen can lay more. I would be happy with them throwing it out themselves. Usually they just cap over it and mummify it if it's bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it does look more like new than old pollen, but i have seen some bright pollen like that on some frames i removed from winter dead outs. it could be contaminated in some way that would cause the bees to eliminate it. they are expanding the broodnest very rapidly at this time so it's also possible they are just making room for brood. this may have happened in the past and i just missed it, i now have carpet laid around the stands so it's easy to see what's being hauled out.

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm already glad i put it there, and i'll be even more glad not having to weed eat or spray around the stands. the being able to see what's hauled out of the hives was an unexpected bonus.

i got lucky and got big pieces of new carpet that had been installed and ripped up 3 weeks later. i laid it upside down so that the light beige nap is facing up. i let it protrude about a foot and a half on all four sides of the stands.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I have no documentation on the reasoning. But over the years I have seen bees toss pollen. It seem they do so In times of plenty at a time when they are adjusting the hive, I believe during times of buildup they need space cell cleansing and queen ramp up cause them to look for alternate storage space, they toss lower quality pollen for fresh higher quality.

Now, This is all theory so don't quote me.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Taste it and see if it's good. :D

I will go look at the charred ground in front of my hives and see if I see any here. If I had the frames, I would put medium box of drawn comb below the brood boxes and see if they start storing it in the empty cells. It would be a great addition to the hive in the fall to build up brood for the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts