Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to check on the girls today on the way to cut a load of firewood and not thinking of anything blooming I was really surprised to see the pollen baskets bulging with yellow pollen and some of them with it all over them .We are still pretty cold here especially at night , where would they be finding pollen now .Its going to hit 55 degrees today warmest in a long long time !!!!

I made a 1/3 batch from Lauri's sugar brick recipe this morning and there hardening up really nice , not super hard but I can pick them up with out breaking , would it hurt to put them on now .I do have a candy board on and they are into it but have quite a bit left to go , I know they would get more nutrition from the bricks .

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure either , I have some early maples in the yard by the house and you can see a reddish color from a distance in the canopy , but no bee's working it .

·
Registered
724 Posts
My bees are working the hellebores, witch hazels, snow drops, and some other minor bulbs that I can tell at this time. Pollen.com says maple is a major pollen source for me, but I don't see them. I guessing they know better than I do.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The silver maples are in bloom now and will be for a while. If you look up a the tops of the trees you can see the buds opening. The buds start to open from the tops of the trees and work there way down.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was shocked to see pale yellow pollen coming in today. Here in New England we still have several inches of snow on the ground and every day is cloudy and windy. Today it snowed around 11 am then the sun came out for 20 minutes and it felt very warm then the cloudy and then gale force winds. In that 20 minutes of nice weather the hives exploded with flying bees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts