Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the open chambers, among capped brood, are where a bee has hatched? Or do they keep some open. Some do have various stages of larva. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
That can be emerged young bees or cells where diseased pupae or larvae have been removed by the nurse bees

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
looks like a significant variation in the ages of larvae, at least one just an egg. To me it looks like cells the bees have cleaned out for some reason, then the queen has wandered back to lay in them. Queen hunting for spots to lay in amongst the capped brood suggests they are a bit shy on space in the brood nest. Without taking a good look at a frame of fresh larvae, hard to say why this one is the way it is. Could be as simple as a young queen missed a bunch of spots on the first go over the frame, could be as bad as a disease in some of the larvae, or any other of a whole variety of reasons.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have noticed some newly hived bees, the queen will not lay great patterns right off the bat. I don't know if it is caused by lack of nurse bees or a queen just getting into laying shape. But the patterns can be open like this. Also when you have a good flow going and a batch of brood is born and the workers just dump nectar in whatever cell they want. Then when the queen comes through there can be nectar in a cell that should be polished and ready for her and is not.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Has this hive swarmed? If so, it could have been where the bees were backfilling cells prior to swarming. The bees empty the backfilled cells and the new queen starts laying in them.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
No swarm. Only month old package install.
Let it ride for now. watch a new patch away from this frame and how it looks after capping. Either new queen or needs a mite treatment. Not now. Let them establish for another month.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,459 Posts
How does your mite load look? I have also seen spotty patterns when I had mite problems.

It is also possible that the cells were filled with honey when the queen initially layed the frame, and then the bees moved the honey out and she came in and filled in the now empty cells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts