Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....to the point that they are completely gone, and over the next year, haven't caught a single one?

I think for most trappers, it is merely something that probably knocks down the population.

And even if theoretically you were able to remove all the SHB from your hive, they would come from elsewhere to repopulate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi arthur, the SHB is not present in my local (well not as yet) however other members of my association has reported seeing it in their hive, this new to our local.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it from the lack of responses that being able to "rid" ones hive of SHB through traps is unheard of.

To get to how useful these traps and methods are, I think we really need some scientific studies, randomized treatment vs. control. If it has not already been done.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had SHB as bad as one could have it last year before I took control measures. But never to the extent that they were damaging the hive (lucky?). I now just assume that they will always be there & continue my control measures.

As long as those work, I'm not concerned about them & as others have said re any 'scientific' study - that takes money. I guess the thought is analagous to getting warts every so often. If I can remove it with wart-away, then I'm not inclined to be tested for what strain of virus I have causing it, nor are the drug makers probably inclined to isolate it.

If my nick-name was wart-man and it was similar to swine flu re its pandemic nature... well you get the picture.

They are a problem, control measures work (for me) - probably don't expect a 'real solution' anytime soon.

Get creative - my brain is always working on the ultimate SHB trap.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
arthur,
I hadn't responded to this thread, not because I haven't been able to completely rid my colonies of SHB, but because I still haven't found a single SHB in any of my colonies.

Possibly this situation may change for the worse, and SHB may appear here some day. But, until they do, I shall try to enjoy their absence.

·
Registered
717 Posts
arthur,
I hadn't responded to this thread, not because I haven't been able to completely rid my colonies of SHB, but because I still haven't found a single SHB in any of my colonies.

Possibly this situation may change for the worse, and SHB may appear here some day. But, until they do, I shall try to enjoy their absence.
Yea, but I know you have toads and probably a good share of scorpions and rattlesnakes - makes bee stings almost sound like something to look forward to.

But like other pests, we somehow are able to (if we're lucky) stay just a step ahead.

Too bad the more mechanical methods aren't as successful on the bee's other problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts