Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has "painted" their deep plastic frames with wax.

I did today to some black plastic frames. Hopefully when it is time to make splits and I need some frames the bees will take to these a little better.

All I did was put some of last years wax in a slow cooker, added a bit of water and then when melted just painted onto the frames with a foam 4" brush.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a cheap crock pot to melt wax, then I use a foam brush to paint wax on my deep plastic foundation. My bees take it much better than just regular pre wax plastic foundation. Just don't get wax to hot and scorch it.
Tim Adams

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
yes it helps very much, we add wax to every frame of foundation we use if we can. we have done thousands already this year.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i have done it in the past and the bees do prefer it/draw it faster than plain. i used a cheapie 3" roller to apply and it worked great

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Tim Adams described what I do. I use Permadent foundation - without wax when I can get it, with wax if that is the only way I can find it. Regardless I paint my own wax onto the frame.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Painting is good, the real secret to getting any foundation drawn is putting it on when bees need more room. If the bees aren't expanding no added wax or black magic will get comb drawn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts