Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was told by a customer that a bee remover in Arizona used gas to sedate bees and remove them just wondering if anyone ever heard of using compresed gas to calm or sedate bees

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
What gas was used?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i was told by a customer that a bee remover in Arizona used gas to sedate bees and remove them just wondering if anyone ever heard of using compresed gas to calm or sedate bees
CO2 will cause bees to go to sleep. They use it down in S.A. to work the hives of AHB . Give them a dose and they sleep for about 5 min or so.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Burning ammonium nitrate fertilizer in your smoker knocks out bees for about five minutes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CO2 will cause bees to go to sleep. They use it down in S.A. to work the hives of AHB . Give them a dose and they sleep for about 5 min or so.
I thought CO2 kills them. I saw somewhere on the interwebs a "bee removal" company that kills them with CO2 gas and then removes the comb. Their big sales pitch was that they kill the bees without leaving behind dangerous pesticides that kill bees :scratch:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I thought CO2 kills them. I saw somewhere on the interwebs a "bee removal" company that kills them with CO2 gas and then removes the comb. Their big sales pitch was that they kill the bees without leaving behind dangerous pesticides that kill bees :scratch:
I did some reading and found that out. But here's a video of the S.A. beekeepers having done this and working with the bees.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Burning ammonium nitrate fertilizer in your smoker knocks out bees for about five minutes.
Ammonium nitrate can knock out lots of things. If inhaled, it can knock out a person. It can knock out buildings, remember the Murrah Federal Building. It can knock out plants if too much is used on them.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I've used ammonium nitrate several times to introduce queens, mainly virgins. It's only explosive in large quantities and under pressure with fire. It does burn hot so you have to be careful when smoking bees with it not to burn them [did that once and melted a styro nuc]. Bees sleep for about 5 minutes. A couple of queen breeders use it to make up mating nucs. Search utube for video.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ammonium nitrate can knock out lots of things. If inhaled, it can knock out a person. It can knock out buildings, remember the Murrah Federal Building. It can knock out plants if too much is used on them.

cchoganjr
Yes it can knock out buildings, but it has to be mixed with desiel fuel and have a large charge put to it first. lol.. Not sure about the other applications but the plants being fertilized though.. Never heard of the other uses..

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My remarks were meant to be a joke to Odfrank, about different things that happen when you use ammonium nitrate. Please don't take them seriously when talking about putting bees to sleep. I have never tried it, but, if Odfrank says it will put them to sleep, I will take it at face value.

Of course I know it takes other measures to make it explode, it takes larger quantities to burn or kill plants rather than fertilize them. However, in all seriousness, ammonium nitrate is not something to play with. There are lots of good uses and there are a lot of ways to use it illegally.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Requeening mean bees with Ammonium nitrate - Get a few table spoons from a local wholesale nursery or farmer or terrorist. Have a new caged queen, division screen and drone guard (entrance queen excluder) ready. Light the smoker, drop in a tea spoon of ammonium nitrate, don't inhale the smoke as it will blast out of the smoker. Fumigate the hive with the blasting smoke. The bees will fall unconscious. Shake them onto a sheet in front of the hive. Place all the brood in the upper brood chamber. They will awake from their stupor and walk back into the hive, the queen being found on the entrance excluder. After an hour or two divide the hive introducing the new queen above the division screen into the box containing the brood. These mean bees will kill the new queen if you try a direct introduction. The division screens sends the old mean bees back to the box down below, young bees above to accept the new queen. Either squish the old queen, or mark her and run her back into the bottom. You will then have to find her and squish her after the new queen up above is accepted, then merging the boxes.

I did dozens of mean hives in the '70s using this method, works great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes it can knock out buildings, but it has to be mixed with desiel fuel and have a large charge put to it first. lol.. Not sure about the other applications but the plants being fertilized though.. Never heard of the other uses..
There was no diesel or charge in the West, Tx fertilizer plant explosion last year..

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Way overblown comment. Many beekeepers, including myself, use it without problems. It is the common fuel for fireworks. A few teaspoons will never explode.

odfrank. I just put the queen cage on the top frames, smoke them, release the sleeping queen and put her on the top bars and close up the hive. I get about 85% success with mated queens and about 70% with virgins. Only one trip to the hive, come back in 3 weeks and combine the failures with another hive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts