Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to set supers on when taking them off, hauling them to be extracted and moving them around inside the "honey house"? I don't like wooden covers because they get too messy. I used to use some fiberglass covers but they are beginning to deteriorate. Something made of plastic? And how could I keep the supers setting off the bottom and not setting in the honey? Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
A pallet that will hold 6 supers per row. The sides of the pallet have plywood fenders so the supers don't slide off the side when I am moving them with the lift. I use a sheet of plastic on top of the pallet to set the supers on.

For a hobbiest(when I had less than 100 hives) I used drip boards. Plywood the size of the super, A cleat on each end on the bottom so the dolley would get under it, a piece of coil stock(painted white aluminum) on the top, and a 3/4" x 3/4" rim on top of the coil stock to keep the bottom of the frames from sitting on the bottom of the drip board.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The hard plastic outer covers from Walter T. Kelley. Very durable and easy to wash. If the outside starts to get punky, just sand them a little and paint

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I use a regular wood telescoping cover. Sure would like to have a few of those Kelly plastic ones.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
We have wooden skids with galvinized metal covering the top, with a vertical lip of about a half an inch around the edges. The supers are loaded onto them on are on the truck when we are in the bee yard, and are wheeled off the truck, into the extracting room, with 2 wheel(suspended) wooden dollies. Had them since the big war(WWII)?

Roland
Linden Apiary, Est. 1852

1 - 6 of 6 Posts