Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own an extractor and have several shallow supers of honey to take off. I have a friend who is a long time beekeeper. He has never owned an extractor either. What he does is that he cuts his honey out of the frames in chunks into a pan. He gradually heats up the honey until the wax melts and comes to the top as he stirs the pot. When all of the wax is melted he allows the pan to cool and the wax hardens. He takes the cake of solid wax off the top of the pan and bottles his honey. He then starts the process all over again until finished. I asked him if he ever had problems with the honey scorching and he said no. Has anyone had any experience with this method? I would like to buy an extractor and hope to some day. I only have 5 hives and don't think it is time to buy an extractor until I build up my colonies. Any help here would be appreciated,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would not recommend heating the honey I only have raw honey. I have read of several methods of using two mason jars, cut and crush the comb to release the honey put it in a mason jar, put a piece of cheese cloth over the jar then place the other jar on top duct tape them together and turn upside down. I'm not sure how long it will take, all the honey will be on bottom and the wax will remain on top. Good Luck.
Aaron

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
does a local bee club have an extractor for members use, many of them do. Not sure on the whole pan method, wax melts at a higher temp than I would want to heat honey to. Michael Bush's website explains in detail the crush and strain method with pictures and directions, for minimal $$$.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I use crush and strain, but I just pull a couple frames at a time.
Get a large pan, put a colander in it, put your honey and wax in it. Crush the wax up onto the sides of the colander, let honey run down into pan.Let it sit and drain for a few minutes. Then pour honey from pan into pitcher (something with a spout makes it easier to pour into jars), and pour into your jars.
For larger amounts I would use a bucket with spout, and honey strainer set up.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
For the 26 years I didn't have an extractor I did crush and strain. Then you can melt what is left and use that honey for cooking as it won't taste as good, but cooking will overheat it anyway. It makes great candy or bread or whatever... but it's not as good as fresh unheated honey.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I for a small fee of I get to keep the cappings. I will spin out peoples Honey.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is my first year and we don't have an extractor. IF we get a some surplus honey, I was planning on doing crush and strain. I really don't know much about it. I don't want to use any heat. Raw honey is so yummy :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts