Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got three hives. The original hive has two deeps and a medium super. The medium super has been on it all season and although they are alot of bees in it they barely have drawn out comb on a couple frames and absolutely no honey it at all. So I thought about harvesting four of the outside frames of the upper deep, outer two on each side. Wouldn't they be able to build that back up during the golden rod bloom?
On another hive which was a swarm off the oboe original hive it is two deeps and a medium also and the second deep is almost completely honey and so is the medium. Would it be ok to of course harvest the medium but to also get a couple frames out of the deep as well?
The third hive is also a swarm I caught this year off the original. Its doing very well also. Its two deeps now and about a month and a half ago I stuck the top deep on it and they have got it about filled up with honey also. Flow I guess has been pretty good this year in south west TN area. The soybeans which surround me are in full bloom now and hundreds of acres of them. Would they be able to build it back if i grabbed a frame on each side that top deep here in next couple weeks during golden rod flow before frost hits end of Oct?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If they haven't drawn out the comb on the medium super, I doubt they will be able to replenish what you take. You are risking loosing your hives in my estimation. It is my understanding that you leave what is in the deeps for the bees and you can take anything else. The odds are against you! What if the goldenrod bloom isn't what it "should" be? This is a bad time of the year to take those kinds of chances, again in my opinion.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I guess my first question is how old are these hives? How hard and long are your winters? And are you interested in making bees in the future or just in getting honey? If you are interested in making increases then I would leave them alone in the two deeps. You could harvest the medium super and be okay. I agree with hideawayranch, they probably won't build up enough now to make it through the winter. Your hive of 2 deeps should be somewhere around 125-130 pounds together going into winter. Now thats here in Idaho. I'm not sure of your area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hives are swarms from first of April. The swarm that took the original*queen is the hive thats got the medium of honey. Winters are typically mild dipping into the lower teens at night at worst but usually mid twenties at night and highs into forties and mid fifties in mid December and January and mid February. Last year we stayed in single digits for a couple days straight then highs in teens for a couple more then back to typical normal winter averages. We don't usually get a killing frost till first week in November. First frost is usually around third or fourth week October. I don't know how old the original hive is but I got it mid of October last year.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you need honey for personal use, take a frame or two. if you think your deeps are honey bound take a frame or two from that colony. its not an all or nothing hobby. honey does not have to be harvest by the box.

I am a first year newbie, and took some pretty quickly to free up a box bound with messy frames. later took 2 more when they had half filled another deep.

I also took a couple frames from a medium on my other hive. thay were a much lighter mostly clover honey. it was fun experimenting with crush and strain strategies with stuff I already own in my canning kitchen.

they are your bees, if you have not done so take a little honey and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts