Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I got wild bees that got under my shed. I do not want them killed. And lately have been toying with the idea of letting them be and instead harvesting them. I'm considering paying someone knowledgeable to build me a hinged access door into them and learn to live with them and perhaps get some honey from them. Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? Do you have any insight about it that you could share? All opinions appreciated

·
Registered
551 Posts
You need to cut them out and install in a hive, make sure they are really bees first.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You'd have to cut them out to get the honey, might as well put them in a box you can keep organized.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In most states it is only legal to keep bees in a movable frame hive.

Yes, they will survive where they are, but access to them will become more and more challenging as the colony grows. Honey which may not be easily accessible will need to be cut out.

Best probably to cut them out from the start and install them in a conventional box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the service of transferring them to a movable frame hive called? Who do I hire for it? And what could it usually cost?

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
733 Posts
It called a "cut out" when they are removed from a structure and put into a regular bee hive.
You will need to get in touch with a beekeeper that does this kind of work, not all bee keepers do this. It is hot dirty work that takes time and the bees may not live once they have been cut out or they may not stay. I do several cuts out every year and in my area most do not even flinch at $300. Sometimes I will put the structure back together and try to bee proof (seal cracks and holes and fill voids with insulation) to keep the bees from returning next year.

Not sure where you are located but it is getting too late now for a cut out in my area unless it is an emergency.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It called a "cut out" when they are removed from a structure and put into a regular bee hive.
You will need to get in touch with a beekeeper that does this kind of work, not all bee keepers do this. It is hot dirty work that takes time and the bees may not live once they have been cut out or they may not stay. I do several cuts out every year and in my area most do not even flinch at $300. Sometimes I will put the structure back together and try to bee proof (seal cracks and holes and fill voids with insulation) to keep the bees from returning next year.

Not sure where you are located but it is getting too late now for a cut out in my area unless it is an emergency.
Thank you, I appreciate your help. I'm in Florida. So by telling a local beekeeper I want a cut out, they'll know I want them to take the bees out of the shed and placed in a beehive box in my property?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,787 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate your help. I'm in Florida. So by telling a local beekeeper I want a cut out, they'll know I want them to take the bees out of the shed and placed in a beehive box in my property?
Yep. the beekeeper may also be able to provide and sell you the equipment you need to get started. If you are north of the lake, you probably want to wait until spring as temps there do drop into the 30's. If you are closer to Homestead, you may be OK this time of year. Would not hurt to get things lined up now. Beekeepers get busy in the Spring. It is OUR season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. the beekeeper may also be able to provide and sell you the equipment you need to get started. If you are north of the lake, you probably want to wait until spring as temps there do drop into the 30's. If you are closer to Homestead, you may be OK this time of year. Would not hurt to get things lined up now. Beekeepers get busy in the Spring. It is OUR season.
Very close to Homestead. Appreciate it

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
733 Posts
You can look here on this forum for keeps that do cut outs in your area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts