Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is mixing apples and oranges, but ... I know we're not supposed to harvest honey for a long period after Apivar tx (which I generally use in July, post-harvest). What about if we use OAV and/or OAD? Maybe there wouldn't be a time of year when the 2 things would coincide (uncapped larvae, etc), but -- just in case -- I thought I'd ask. Any reasons why it's not pertinent? Maybe chemical contamination (Apivar) versus an organic, "natural" compound presence?Thx for any ideas/instructions/enlightenment ...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If memory serves, EPA regulations require the removal of honey before doing OA treatments. If you left honey supers on while treating, I'd freeze those frames for bee use during the winter and spring and harvest what comes in after treatment.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Mitch, the rule with Apivar is that it must be removed two weeks before the supers are even put on the hive. It can be used as an early spring treatment or a fall treatment if you do not have a fall flow. Theoretically, you could apply OAV today and put the supers on tomorrow without breaking the rules. This coming year I will apply Apivar after removing the supers, and then start with OAV in October. This past year was OAV only starting in Aug. I do not get a fall flow.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obliged, guys -- makes sense to me. I have to admit, too: doing the OA dribble was a lot easier and manageable than OAV. No worries about getting gassed by the vapor, etc. I still have Apivar strips from a supply I bought in early 2018. Hoping they still have some efficacy! I plan to use them ~July 4th.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I still have Apivar strips from a supply I bought in early 2018. Hoping they still have some efficacy! I plan to use them ~July 4th.

Mitch
check the side of the container, 2 years from the Mfg date as long as they haven't been opened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts