Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Michigan, my husband and I went out today to cut off some honeycomb from our top bar. Three combs that we pulled up fell, and smothered a ton of bees...mess in the bottom of the hive with honey everywhere. Near tears, I was. What happens now? Do they clean it or do I?Then I also noticed larvae in the top of the comb from where it broke off. Is this a problem? Now I am worried the queen could have been smothered along with the thousand other bees. We scooped up what we could. What a mess. Is there an easy way to do this??

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
:) One thread under the Top Bar Forum probably would have done it, don't ya think? I'm just sayin'. :)

Welcome to beesource. You'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeez, thanks. Maybe I just won't come back here I guess. I am new to this site as well, and it's not the easiest to figure it out. I didn't realize there was a 101 forum at first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i'm sure she will get the hang of it...by the way, thanks for answering our questions...
Allen

·
Registered
918 Posts
Don't mind him Rebhunt, sometimes folks get a little impatient with new people or people in general. Don't give up on the forumn there is tons of info for all sorts of different ideas in beekeeping. The big thing with top bars or foundationless is don't pick it up and then rotate it from vertical to horizontal. Depending on how old the comb is you might be able to rotate it along the vertical, bar was on top now it's on bottom, but especially with honey frames on top bars, NEVER rotate vertical to horizontal, too much stress on the attachment up top on the bar. Hope this helps, check out the other forumns and you'll gather more info.

Rod

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Hey, now who's getting grumpy. That's what the smiley faces were for. A gentle chastisment. Aw, shucks. Now what am I gonna do? Go stand in the corner?

You're welcome Allen.

"Is there an easy way to do this?" I'll leave that answer to the TBH folks like rweakley. I will say tho that bees are flexible and resilient and some times, actually alot of the time these days, even if you do everything correctly they will up and die on ya over winter more often than they used to. But keep on Beekeeping. Learning a new are is expensive and time consuming, which are both the same things often, but it is worth the expense. What else are you going to do? Lay around on a beach? ;)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Reb,
With a TBH you want to work when the temp is cooler. Early morning before the wax in the hive softens. The bees built it right but when it gets warm it doesn't like to get vibrated. Alll the 'how to hold it stuff' is also real important too!!!

Hang in there. It will get better. And if (worse case) you goooed your queen,:ws they will even fix that for you by raising up a new one.

Nice to have you.
:applause:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Welcome to the site and good luck. Hang in there we all have problems and questions at times and like our ladies sometimes we sound (or are ) loud and nasty and if we just breathe deep and relax it ain't so bad. Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
While my hive isn't top-bar, I am going foundationless on some of my frames. I was very careful to pick up the frames properly, then got distracted looking at the bees and tried to flip it over and 'plop', out it fell. It was from the center of the brood chamber and full of brood. I just propped it up in the proper place and put it back in the hive were the bees fixed it up fine. No wires, strings or rubber bands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for kind words and sound advice, beekeeping really has a learning curve. We have learned a lot by everything said here, and will continue to look at the TBH lit. It was a very humid day now that I think of it, lesson learned! A couple hours later they were bearding, at least I think they were, well into the night. As of today they are all back in the hive. We will do as said, and wait it out a few days and open it up again and check the brood. As for the honey, it was nice to try our first taste, even if it was a mess. We have a Langstroth with wired foundation, too. We wanted to try both...in hopes to figure out what we like better. We have the 4.9 cell in the top bar, and in the Langstroth, we did 5.1 cell with a local package order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts