Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went out with my mentor and at one of his yards one of the tops blew off of a hive (inner cover too).There was a light dusting of snow
on top of the frames and look down in and looking up at me were bees,some even flew up at me.

Now the thing that shocked me was (besides the snow)it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit out with the wind blowing.:eek:
I just can not believe the things I've seen so far dealing with bees and I had to tell someone.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If you ever watched the flow of a cluster, you can see how they can survive such adverse conditions. I watched a feral hive do that plugging a hole in the side of a barn when there was a late spring cold snap, it was like watching a glass of Guinness beer is the closest thing I can come to describe it. Bees would emerge in the middle & the outside would go inward, stood there thinking "what an amazing insect!"

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Yesterday I went out with my mentor and at one of his yards one of the tops blew off of a hive (inner cover too).There was a light dusting of snow
Let's get those 5 gal pails on there people.:D

This is where numbers count. A small nuc would be dead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts