Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
1/4 allows bees to enter/exit. I don't trust 1/2 to keep mice out.
Here the mice are looking to enter the hives well before the bees stop bringing in pollen. If I used ¼ inch mesh it would scrap a lot of pollen from the bees. I have never had a mouse enter a hive with ½ inch mesh.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I use 1/4 with no pollen problems what-so-ever. Now drones...that is another story....had one hive wait late to boot the drones, I had to remove the guard so they could clean house.

·
Registered
165 Posts
:doh:... and all this time I thought it was the hardware cloth keeping the mice out. If not the mesh then it must be the cats wintering in my hives. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Had a friend who kept a boa constrictor snake as a pet. He bought mice to feed the snake and related an experience where he picked up several mice in a 1/2" hardware cloth cage. Several got loose in his car before he got home. The largest dimension of a mouse is its head. If the mouse can get his head through the rest of his body follows. Around my part of the country you can leave entrances open and chances are good you won't have mice problems.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Have many 1/2" screens surplus as a result of finding out that 1/2" lets the mice through. Switched to 3/8" and not a problem since. OMTCW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts