Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at the news isn't comforting right now. Significant hard freezes throughout most of the Midwest, Rockies, Central US, and all the way to the East Coast. Temps forecasted to be 24F...

With the strong spring buildup and sudden bad weather, I am seeing some evidence of stress, and colonies are consuming an uncomfortable amount of their stores. I've given them pollen patties, to help prevent brood issues, but I'm not going to sleep so well on Wed night.

Check out a few articles on the record cold that I've found:

Spring freeze has local farmers worried about catastrophic damage to fruit crops

Deep Freeze Could Cause Damage to Texas, Oklahoma Wheat Crops

April temperatures causing problems for Michigan fruit growers

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,542 Posts
15 here overnight tonight, I think it may be hard on some trees, but I think it is early enough that most of the trees will be ok. I only have one tree flowering right now, compared to several when we got a hard freeze last april

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,388 Posts
username,
been seeing the same.
was planning to start splits this week, now have chickened out
My hives are still wrapped, looks like next tue is 60s again big day planned, unwrap inspect.
last year when doing this I had a couple ready to swarm so if I find this it is split time as well.
styro on the lid for a few days would help.

feel for the folks who split last week, and the fruit farmers.

AG endeavors,, never know what mother nature has up her sleeve.

green grass dandys starting 20s at night,, that is michigan for you.

GG

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bees generally do OK, but moisture can be an issue.

Already seeing quite a bit of excess moisture.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Was 20 and snow last two nights here but that is in our range of seasonal variability. My bees are still in their insulated wraps eating pollen patties. 58F is forecast for tomorrow and my bees will have a lot of foragers hauling water still liquifying honey here.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HARD FREEZE

Temperatures dropped into the 20s for most areas in Mid-MO this morning, breaking many records previously set for April 21st.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
The bees generally do OK, but moisture can be an issue.

Already seeing quite a bit of excess moisture.
If anything, moisture is a plus (not minus) at the moment.
Why moisture is still an issue in April?
Need lots water to raise brood and liquefy old honey.
I on purpose added plastic over the frames to, hopefully, catch some escaping water.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The overnight readings around Battle Creek have fallen to as low as 24 degrees at the last report. More than enough to cause serious problems with emerging plants. We have another night with predicted low temperatures at that make or break level. And then tomorrow night in the low 30’s – not that far off the danger point. Tens of millions of dollars worth of crops are at stake.

, “You’re always worried; you’re always nervous about a freeze, knowing it’s your livelihood in the end and could cause strain on our operation. You just have to have faith and pray that you can get through it and do whatever you can to give you the best odds.”

Most Michigan farmers and gardeners won’t know the full extent of the cold weather damage until the weekend or early next week. It will be a tough wait.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I gotta call Al Gore and ask him when I'm going to get some of that global warming he promised me. It's flippin cold here.

Reactions: LarryBud

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A mid April freeze is not normally a concern. The problem is that we had record or near record warmth in late March and April, and now we're getting a freeze.

Normally, the cold would cause minimal damage. Recently, with such early starts to spring, obviously it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that record warmth followed by a freeze is a very bad thing for agriculture.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Gotta use the most modern verbage "Climate Crisis"
LOL. I used to have a paper route in the '60s, starting when I was 7 years old. I always read the papers before I delivered them (three different ones). Seems to me they were squawking about 'Climate Crisis' back then too. Except, IIRC, they were saying we were all going to freeze to death in the very near future.

Is the climate changing? Yes, it has always been changing. The Earth's orbit changes and the edges of the ellipse vary in their distance from the Sun. The tilt of the Earths axis varies. These things directly affect our climate...and there is not a flipping thing we can do about it.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Snowing here today again. Not piling up, just not warming up. And why are those megafauna ungulates thawing out of the tundra with butter cups on their teeth? Think weather and climate have always been and will always be , changeable

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
All they have to do - rename the project from "Climate change control" to "Pollution control".
Magically, there will be much more agreement on the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This thread isn't about climate change, users can get their kicks in the Coffee clatch. Discuss climate change theories here

This thread is to discuss the hard freeze and it's effects in the North.

In my area, the freeze has completely destroyed any pollen and nectar. Hives are now at starvation risk.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,542 Posts
All 4 of my hives made it thru the freeze and the dandelions are starting to bloom so I think we are in good shape here. There is more rain in the forcast so that should be good for the nectar flows.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.