Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in May I put out four bee traps, and checked them regularly up until about 3 weeks ago. I had pretty much given up on them as I had seen no bees around them, and had seen no bees working any of the flowers anywhere near the traps, which were spread out a mile or two apart. I got up early today (my birthday) and it was a nice cool morning so I decided to load up the ladder and go retrieve the traps, before I forgot about them. Lo and behold 3 out of the four traps had bees in them. Luckily I had some hardware cloth in the truck to block the openings, so I loaded them up and brought them home. I will open them up in the morning to see exactly what I have inside but there are a lot of bees coming and going from all 3 nucs. I had only been home for an hour or two when the phone rang and a lady told me she had bees in the wall of an outbuilding and that they had been there for at least 3 years. I went and checked it out, it should be a pretty simple cutout. The wall is 8 feet, the bees are coming and going from a hole at the top, one about 3 feet off the ground and another right at the foundation. I listened with a stethascope and the buzzing at the top, middle and bottom of the wall was all equally loud, so hopefully it is chockfull-o-bees. I plan on doing the cutout this Thursday, and will be starting another thread shortly to get some advice on that........SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueline

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
It's always nice when you get one. Congrats. I hadn't gotten a hive to move into one of my traps all year. Came home from vacation last week to find one had moved into a trap I have at my house. 1 out of 7 aint anything to write home about but it's better that 0 for 7.

Hambone, is that bacon... on a mash potato "cake"? Nice...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nothing like bacon to show how much you care... :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.....Hambone I hope that cake ships well, did Fedex happen to give you a delivery date? How did you know that bacon is my favorite food group?

Metrosean, I put in a frame of old comb along with 4 plastic frames and a vial of lemongrass oil with a small pin hole in the lid.

Blueline

1 - 6 of 6 Posts