Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
With reasonable care, a capped cell can be moved almost any time.

Damage may occur ( from bumping, jarring, and/or shaking) almost anytime during pupae development - especially days 9-14. There is also mention that laying the cell on it's side (& bump, jar) may lead to a malformed wing or leg.

Proceed with usual caution and you should be fine.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
With reasonable care, a capped cell can be moved almost any time.
And from what I have seen they are moved at any time, even when still uncapped. But if you have to move them a distance, carry them in your car let's say, you probably want to wait until the cells are capped at least.

When I buy queen cells to put into nucs they are ready to emerge that day or w/in 12 to 24 hours. Those you can drop on the ground and still have viable queens.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Will a laying worker hive benefit from the "early" placement of a capped queen cell? In this case the distance between the cell builder and the laying worker hive is less than 10 feet.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Will a laying worker hive benefit from the "early" placement of a capped queen cell?

Not as much as from a "late" placement... a late placement is less likely to get torn down...

> In this case the distance between the cell builder and the laying worker hive is less than 10 feet.

The distance doesn't matter...

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Reports are that 48 hour cells (still not capped) transport very well...even without attendants. By 72 hours they are apt to wiggle out of position.

I would move cells either at about 48 hours or wait until ripe.

·
Registered
216 Posts
"Not as much as from a "late" placement... a late placement is less likely to get torn down..."

Michael...I have 2 laying worker nucs I want to place queen cells in on Sunday (day 14 for the cell). What percentage of laying worker hives accept them...on average? I was gonna just shake em out and walk away but figured I have extra cells so why not try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts