Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info that I should be aware of about introducing and maintaining an II breeder queen. I was wondering about what size colony should I shoot for to keep her in.

I already know that I don't want her close to any mating nucs,for fear of a virgin getting mixed up on returning from a mating flight and getting in the wrong hive.

Anything special about introducing her to a colony.

My first II queen and I don't want to mess it up. Too costly to blow it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I introduced 2 Sat before last. I start mine in a weak 3 frame nuc populated with young bees. I use a push-in cage over emerging brood and a few cells of honey. After 4 or 5 days check for acceptance and release if everything looks OK. As she starts to lay I add more capped brood to build up to a 10 frame deep body. As she fills this up I add an excluder and a super so they have somewhere to put honey. This keeps them choking the brood chamber with honey.

I check it every week for supercedure cells. Some never have any and others have a cpl every week even though she is laying great. I have had some last into the 3rd year and others don't make it thru the first summer. Once I quit grafting in July I quit checking for cells and usually loose them.

Johnny

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Get her laying eggs ASAP. Most of your problems will go away. Search Beesource for a special type of push-in cage called a Laidlaw cage. It is the best for introducing mated and I.I. queens to a foreign hive.

Also, get and use a queen muff for handling her. You really don't her flying away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts