Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one make the indented hand holds for supers?? I assume it can be done on a table saw?? Radial saw??

thanks

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
There are ways of doing a "factory" looking one, but I've never attempted it. I use cleats (made from the left over piece of ripping a 1 by 12 down to 9 5/8" or a 1 by 8 down to 6 5/8") glued and screwed on or I cut a simple sqaure dado for a handhold.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The handholds can be made using a molding head cutter that attaches to a table saw. Sears and Roebuck used to carry them but I'm not sure if they still do today.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's possible to make them on a table saw if you just have a few. Set the tilt on the blade to 45%. Lower the saw to where it is just below the leveof the table. Now crank up the blade to vertical. If its more than 1/2" high lower it. Lower the blade and clamp the box to the saw fence with the intended hold over the blade. Now, (for the 1st time)turn on the saw and raise the blade slowly. A dado set up this way might work better. At least a good sharp coarse blade.

dickm

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have also done this with a table saw. I built a jig to slide the side piece on an incline. The saw blade is slightly angled and perpendicular to the incline. A while back (year or more) I submitted a drawing to this site, but it never got posted. I'm not sure why. If you give me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to send you a picture.

Doug Norman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts