Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a check on my hive today. Took the top box off, set it aside and went through the bottom box. Everything in there was looking good, saw a couple queen cells, one capped the other not capped. I put the top box back on and started going through it. Got a couple frames out and was looking at the next frame when I started to hear a noise (pipping) from the hive. Didn't know quite what to think. Thought maybe queen noise but wasn't sure. Got a couple frames over and was looking at a frame when the pipping noise was coming from THAT frame. Looked down and sure enough there was a queen. Don't know if she was a virgin queen or not, she was pretty big to be a virgin. Any way, I figured that if I didn't split they would swarm on me. Not a pretty split, I didn't have a bottom board with me or a hive cover. I put what would be the weaker half of the split in the old location to give it the foragers, I put the cover on this one. The other half I put on top of a couple concrete blocks (bottom) and then left the inner cover on it and put some boards on top. Tomorrow I'll get back out there and do things up better. Can't believe they are this strong and Drawing out a ton of foundationless frames. If I didn't split I probably could have added another hive body soon.

Later

1 - 1 of 1 Posts