Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 22 two booming hives had swarm cells. I was able to find queens and moved them to nucs.
Now, 10 days later, the original hives are packing away honey everywhere they can. My worry is that when the new queens hatch, mate, they won't have any place to lay and possibly swarm anyway.
I'm out of drawn comb but do have 2 waxed foundations and many foundationless frames.
If I add foundationless frames to middle of brood box will they draw worker or drone comb?
Anyone run into this problem...….what did you do?

·
Registered
308 Posts
On April 22 two booming hives had swarm cells. I was able to find queens and moved them to nucs.
Now, 10 days later, the original hives are packing away honey everywhere they can. My worry is that when the new queens hatch, mate, they won't have any place to lay and possibly swarm anyway.
I'm out of drawn comb but do have 2 waxed foundations and many foundationless frames.
If I add foundationless frames to middle of brood box will they draw worker or drone comb?
Anyone run into this problem...….what did you do?
I've extracted the nectar/honey from uncapped frames to give the queen some room to lay.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Once the new queen starts laying you will be surprised how much honey they will go through before they get a normal foraging force. They will eat lots of what they store up now waiting for the new queens prodigy to age out of the hive and start foraging for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts