Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off yesterday around 11:00 am and when I returned as I pulled back the driveway I noticed a lot of bees in the air.As I parked the van and got out they started pinging off my head and shirt like they were mad about something so I grabbed my jacket and gloves and went out to find 2 circles of bees sitting in the gravel about 3 feet apart.Each had a cluster in the middle like they were balled up around the queen.So I was thinking,where did these bees come from,I just pulled honey and checked all of my hives,not so much as a queen cell anywhere. And whats the odds of 2 swarms landing next to each other on my drive 3 feet apart.Since I couldnt scoop them up in the gravel I just took a couple of empty boxes with a couple of frames in each and sat them right down over the bees on the gravel and they started crawling up onto the frames.The small patch was a little wider than a 5 frame nuc box and the bees walked up on the frames but the cluster in the middle stayed on the ground.I picked it up with a queen catcher and set it on top the frames and put a lid and bottom on it.The larger bunch was a little bigger than a 10 frame deep so I set it over them and propped one edge on a twig so I wouldnt crush many bees.When I came back with a bottom board they were all in the box including the cluster in the middle.I checked them about an hour later and there were almost no bees left in the nuc and the cluster was back out in the gravel.So I scooped it up with my queen catcher and set it on top of the 10 frame deep with the other bees.As they started to shuffle around and down into the inner cover I just caught a glimpse of the queen.I set them out with the other hives and put on an entrance reducer and this morning they were coming and going like a regular hive.I am going to start feeding them tonight and hope for the best.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.