Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the email I got:

48 HOURS ONLY: Gurney's 2010 Preview Sale - SAVE up to 50%!

The end of the year is the perfect time to order everything you
need for the following spring's gardening season. And it's even
better when you can get everything you need - ON SALE! So at
Gurney's we'd like to invite you to SAVE up to 50% on everything
YOU need for gardening success in the New Year. That's right,
for 48 hours only, you can save up to 50% off your entire order!

Save Now on Everything you Need for Your Spring Gardens!
I see some items are marked down, but I really don't see a flat 50% off. At the very top of their homepage is a little blurb about the "2010 Preview Sale". Still, I'm not seeing what most would consider a true half price sale.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just got my Henry Fields catalog and it has the $25 off a $50 order through Feb 19.
Gurneys and Fields are basically the same place. I think they were both bought out by a mass merchandiser some years back.
I'm planning some corn and melons at my outyard this year. Maybe planting another pear tree too. (I have a couple already).
It'll be green beans, tomatoes, strawberries and raspberries here at home.
I'm not sure how much the bees will feed off of them, but I do remember the bees in my brothers sweet corn and thick in the squash blossoms this summer.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I got burned by Gurney’s when they folded and was bought by some mass merchandiser a few years back like Brenda mentioned. We grow a large garden and sell it at a roadside stand and it left us in a tough spot.
I have since been buying from Jung seed company out of Wisconsin their products are top notch, nobody sells lower than them and I have always got what I have ordered.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Barry,

I would not support Gurney's nor any other mega owned dihybred, trihybred producer. If I remember my figures, 80% of all agriculture seed is controled by five companies. A couple are Dupont and con-agra.

Cheap, as mentioned in other posts, is not always the best for your health. Do some research on sustainable agriculture and you may be shocked at what you find out.

Sorry Barry, this is my other hobby I am passionate about. I would just check out places like the "Seed Savers Exchange" and "Heirloom Acres". Theres a HUGE difference in health, taste and marketing with heirloom seeds. Plus there easy to save, and you never have to purchase seeds again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks. I saved the Cummins site. I already have a Millers catalog. I like to buy bulk from them, but wow, the price of raspberry plants now days. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts