Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
100 yards away (not downrange!!!!) and you should be fine. If they were closer, during a dearth they could get testy. Are you looking at a professional range with daily fire or personal with fire 2-3 times a week max?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a Class 3 firearms wholesaler and we do A LOT of shooting at our ranch, where the majority of our hives are. We frequently shoot belt-fed machineguns within 100 yards of the bee yard and it does not seem to bother them at all. We also have a duck marsh right below the bee yard and we go through cases of shotgun shells down there every duck season - doesn't bother the wintering hives a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
There's a handful of hives within 100 yards or so of one of the clubs I belong to and I've never heard of any problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My home hives are about 300 yards or so from a gun range without any problems. Range is used for qualifying by local law enforcement, monthly 3-gun matches, testing for carry permits, and lots of general shooting.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I was under the impression that Bees do not "hear" sounds like we do but can perceive vibrations. I frequently weed-wack and mow in front of my hives and don't have a problem. They do run into me when I venture into their flight path but it seems to be unintentional on their part. So, I am guessing that shooting near a hive probably isn't going to be a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.