Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put in a gun range near one of my bee yards. Are bees bothered by gunfire? If so, how far away is far enough? Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
100 yards away (not downrange!!!!) and you should be fine. If they were closer, during a dearth they could get testy. Are you looking at a professional range with daily fire or personal with fire 2-3 times a week max?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a Class 3 firearms wholesaler and we do A LOT of shooting at our ranch, where the majority of our hives are. We frequently shoot belt-fed machineguns within 100 yards of the bee yard and it does not seem to bother them at all. We also have a duck marsh right below the bee yard and we go through cases of shotgun shells down there every duck season - doesn't bother the wintering hives a bit.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I want to put in a gun range near one of my bee yards. Are bees bothered by gunfire? If so, how far away is far enough? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Not to worry. Unless someone thinks it would be funny to shoot at the hives.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
There's a handful of hives within 100 yards or so of one of the clubs I belong to and I've never heard of any problems.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i shoot a few boxes on a monthly basis about 50 yards from the hives and i have not seen them take notice in even the slightest degree.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My home hives are about 300 yards or so from a gun range without any problems. Range is used for qualifying by local law enforcement, monthly 3-gun matches, testing for carry permits, and lots of general shooting.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I was under the impression that Bees do not "hear" sounds like we do but can perceive vibrations. I frequently weed-wack and mow in front of my hives and don't have a problem. They do run into me when I venture into their flight path but it seems to be unintentional on their part. So, I am guessing that shooting near a hive probably isn't going to be a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts