Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hive destroyed by small hive beetles about 2 months ago. So I was down to 1 hive. Okay, cleaned out the dead hive and just left the box there with frames that were not destroyed, no honey or anything in them, just a few frames that were already worked and some new ones. I was going to split my existing hive, but with all the thunderstorms I didn't get to it before I left to go on vacation. I came back and found that the dead out hive has now been occupied. My parents were watching my dog, they were picking up some debris on the lawn from our afternoon thunderstorms and said they were by the hive. They said there was a bunch of bees in the air with a lot of activity. Guess a swarm moved in. Hive was fully furnished. Don't know if my hive split or if it is a wild swarm. Guess I will be checking it out over the weekend. I thought it was too funny. I haven't been in my other hive in awhile, so I haven't checked for swarm cells. That's on my list of things to do.

Joyce

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope they are there to stay. did a quick peek, and there is a queen, didn't see her, but saw some signs of egg laying. I thought they were robbing it out too, but I left nothing to rob out. I was just surprised, I knew I had some feral hives around, but I had no intention to set up a swarm trap. Although I still have to split that other hive, need to get another bottom board.
Joyce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts