Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a thing? My friend was saying how he wanted to just hike somewhere into the woods where no one hikes and set up a little bee hive. Does this ever happen? Do you know anyone who has done this? He doesn't exactly have space to keep bees but wants to start.

·
Registered
535 Posts
People set up swarm traps on public land quite a bit I think. Some have the boxes painted camouflage and hidden.

There's always a risk of it being stolen.

The interstate hi ways here a loaded with sweet clover. As I drive along I consider setting a hive off the road out of sight and pick it up when the clover is done. I never will but I'd like to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. I can't really imagine some hiker trying to steal a bee hive, but I suppose you are right. Yeah I just think it would be cool to do sort of what guerrilla gardeners do. Because everyone knows the world needs more bees!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I guess I'm sort of sheltered down here in the south, but just exactly what do guerilla gardeners do?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, I am pretty new to the whole concept as well, but it is like when people plant stuff sort of where they aren't supposed to be planting. So they will throw "seed bombs" (clay, soil, seeds rolled into little balls) into vacant lot space to make it pretty. :) Even though technically they aren't allow to.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm guessing that those hives weren't snuck onto private property or public lands which is what the thread is about. Looks a bit too back-yardish.

Just sayin'.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
As far as I know, I am pretty new to the whole concept as well, but it is like when people plant stuff sort of where they aren't supposed to be planting. So they will throw "seed bombs" (clay, soil, seeds rolled into little balls) into vacant lot space to make it pretty. :) Even though technically they aren't allow to.
We call those marijuana growers around here. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hahah they aren't planting marijuana plants though! They plant pretty flowers or sometimes vegetables even.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts