Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone currently use these in northern areas that require mouse guards? If so, are you using them as they are for that or are you removing them and putting on actual mouse guards? I lost one hive this year to small hive beetles and I think 2 more may not survive the winter with the load of beetles they had in them. So looking all tools to fight them next year but need to make sure that I don't open myself up to issues with mice like a few winters ago.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
367 Posts
From Guardian's FAQ,"
1.) **Can the Guardian be left on all year: We do not recommend leaving the Guardian on the hive at temperatures below 40 F - Hive beetles are not active below this temperature and damage may occur to the Guardian
2.) **Can the Guardian be used as a mouse guard: The Guardian was not designed to be a mouse guard and significant damage may result."

Reminds me I need to take mine off...

·
Registered
2021 17 hives
363 Posts
This year I'm trying 1/2" hardware cloth bent at an angle to protect from mice.

For small hive beetles Dadant has a screened bottom board with an oil pan under the screen. I made similar bottom boards from a design that Rusty posted maybe 7 years ago. It never got into the build it yourself section on here which I thought was a shame. I never have problems unless I miss cleaning out all of the cappings and the oil gets covered up.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
746 Posts
Barnyard Bees uses those. Here is a link to their shopping page that includes reviews.
Really recommend talking to them about your SHB issues and concern over mice. Lots of videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use screened bottoms and oil pans to manage SHB in 3 Langstroths and a 48" long hive. The only time I have problems is when I feed patties when it's really warm. Oil pans work well and gives me a place to treat OAV from the back anytime I want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.