Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first ever post, I hope this won't be too confusing. I was observing my hives today (I have two, they are side-by-side) and I noticed a grub stuck to one of the 4x4 posts I use for the hive stand (I use a stand made from cinder blocks and 4x4 posts that the beehives sit on). I don't know if it's a bee grub, or some sort of pest's grub. It is located almost directly in-line with the hive entrance. I have a picture here and after taking a closer look, it almost looks as if it is in the shape of a developing bee, but again, I'm not sure about it. I would also like to know if anyone could tell me why it's there. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a picture of what the stand looks like (not my actual hives, though):

c7aabbbc18ea92cf4f65dffbeb8627c3.jpg

Here is a picture of the grub (it is attached to the front side of the front 4x4 post):

image0.jpg

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It is probably a Drone grub. Sometime during inspections the Drone brood gets damaged. The bees then haul them out. It happens quite often.

Alex

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping it wasn't a pest, since the bees were only installed a little over a month ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts