Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an enclosed hive feeder that leaked about pint and a half of syrup down into the hive. Most of it flowed right on thru and out the screened bottom. Thats how I noticed was the shiny syrup sittin on the grass and knew right off what happened. I have the legs sitting in oil so I dont think ants will climb up into the hive. With that said....I take it while the bees wernt exaclty happy with it, they will go ahead and clean up the syurup in the hive and no harm done, correct???
(and that feeder is going on top of the fire/trash pile!) Thanks for any replies.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It depends on how many bees drowned how much damage was done. I'm not sure what "an enclosed hive feeder" is, but if it is a vacuum type system (holes in the bottom and works like a water cooler) then the cause may be temperature changes or a lid that was not on tightly. If it's a miller feeder, the issue is probably just that it leaks, and that you can seal with wax or chalk. No need to throw it away and buy some other method of drowning bees...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's the miller style but I have the parts for one using a gal milk jug which I'll feel safer using. I'll throw that togather tonight when I get home. It was just over a pint that leaked out and a lot of it passed on thru and down and out the bottom. Thats why I'm hoping there wasnt any drownings or damage done. That the syrup water they'd just clean up and go on their way. It's in the mid-80's temp in the daytime now so that may help...maybe. As for keeping it...naw....built it, didnt work, I have enuff crap around the house that something else that I'll never use just gets in the way.

·
Super Moderator
11,158 Posts
Be aware that jar/jug type feeders depend on a vacuum in the jug to prevent leakage. When the ambient air pressure goes down, or the sun heats up the exposed jug, syrup may be forced out of the jug and into the hive.

An alternative to the wax or chalk sealant mentioned above for a wood Miller style feeder is Titebond glue - paint it on with a brush, making sure to fill any cracks. I use Titebond II for everything, but if you were to buy glue specifically for this use, I'd suggest Titebond III instead.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
A plastic milk jug isn't strong enough....it will (eventually) collapse and pour syrup on the bees. Glass or a very stiff plastic is the way to go.

deknow

it's the miller style but I have the parts for one using a gal milk jug which I'll feel safer using. I'll throw that togather tonight when I get home. It was just over a pint that leaked out and a lot of it passed on thru and down and out the bottom. Thats why I'm hoping there wasnt any drownings or damage done. That the syrup water they'd just clean up and go on their way. It's in the mid-80's temp in the daytime now so that may help...maybe. As for keeping it...naw....built it, didnt work, I have enuff crap around the house that something else that I'll never use just gets in the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts