Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight as I was walking past them I heard one of my 5 hives "growling", rather loudly, It was well after dark. They have plenty of room, young brood and seem healthy but it is loud and I am concerned.
What should I look for?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"Tonight as I was walking past them'...it was well after dark,.. I heard one of my 5 hives "growling", rather loudly"

Was it getting "stormy"; becoming a dark and stormy night?

"What should I look for?"

A beewolf? :D I would stay inside tonight and check them in the morning. Maybe they sense a skunk nearby.

·
Registered
375 Posts
We had a nasty storm go through. I think it was headed your way. If it was muggy, they could have been cooling off the hive.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This happened to me last night. hand on a stack of bibles!
It's night (around 11PM) and I had made up some sugar syrup to feed to one nuc I've been babying. It sits on the same hive stand with a strong 10frme brood/2super hive.
Now this is all back by the creek/woods and very very dark and late at night. I'm taking off the lid, not being quiet about it at all and I've got my flashlight shining into the feeder that I'm filling and all of a sudden I hear a loud...so close I coulda touched it whatever it was....menacing growl. :eek: Lasted about 4 seconds and was a growl you'd expect from an animal. I about gave up the Ghost, heart in throat feeling, and almost crapped my pants at the same time. I yelled something like "WTF!" and shone my light over and ....nothing...no eyes peering back reflecting the light, no rustling of bushes, nothing around. I then realized it was the hive next to the nuc that had made that noise and remembered it from reading here online. Scared the living you-know-what out of me!!! :pk: I finish and walk back to the house (about 75yards) looking over my shoulder the whole way! That was strange and probably something I'll never forget!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
could it have been a "purring"?
Oh no!. I know what the "hive purr" sounds like. Nope this was a growl like something was fixing to bite me!! Nope.... definite growl! Low, mean, meanacing, and drawn out for about 4 seconds. Loud too!
Scared the bejeezus out of me!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts