Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting closer to my goal of 100 hives and need to add some equipment.
I am already close to 1000 lbs of honey extracted this year and 90% of my suppers are still on hives.
I have a 24 frame extractor and 2 large holding/settling tank's.
I have a make shift holding bin/tote for uncapped frames that works for now.

My problem is using bucket's at the drain on the uncapper. (only 1 over flow so far):eek:
I am ready to up grade to a settling tank and pump.
My question is what pump would work best for this size set up?
Right now I am set up in our garage but I will have a honey house by spring.

I would have it by now but had to buy out a fellow beek when he ended up in the hospital after allergies to Honey Bee's.

I am looking for advice on a settling tank with float switch and a pump.
I will be off line till after church today but look forward to any and all advice.

Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not sure what kind of uncapper you're using, and subsequently what type of mixture is in your draining from the uncapper. If the mixture is almost all honey, as with a chain uncapper/wax spinner maxant combo, the dadant controller 1 (Moo550) would be awesome paired with a pump. If running a cowan, the unstrained slurry would likely fill up the compartments with wax.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying Bdfarmer555

I am using a fork/rake to uncap by hand, so I have very little capping's.
I did not fill a 2 gallon bucket after 250 frames.
I will check it out.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I inherited a Danant carifer and a very old pump. It has made a world of a difference. For the better. The only thing I need to change is right now it has 1 1/2 hoses and need to change to 2”.
I am running a Maxant 1000 tank for a settling tank. Should have had them but a 2” instead of the 1” nipple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts