Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using groved frames with plastic foundation for my deeps but the drone foundation I am using needs a wedged frame. I can't find a description of how I am to use or assemble this. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hi D

OK, take your big pocket knife and run it in the slit to cut loose the piece on the top bar. You can cut it off before or after you put your frame together.

Then slide your foundation into the bottom groove and place the piece you have cut off back where it was, securing the top of the foundation to the top bar.

THen nail or staple the piece you have cut off to the top bar. There are two ways to do this. You can either nail through the foundation or nail it into the top bar from the bottom.

I like the latter method better because then if you have to replace the foundation you can get the old foundation out without destoying the frame.

I also use 5/8" staples to put this in with an air compressor and staple gun. WIth a little practice you can do it pretty easily.

Hope this helps. It is easier to do it than to explain it!

[ March 27, 2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: BerkeyDavid ]

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I forgot to explain one other thing. You need to trim both the piece you have cut off and the top bar so they are smooth. Hope you can follow this...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I prefer wedges to grooves, just because of ease of cleaning up. I'm converting all frames to wedge.

There's a strip of wood on either side of the groove. Cut one of them off and that's your wedge. If you wreck the wedge in removing, no big deal. You can make several out of a paint stirring stick. The one gallon size is too short, so go with the 5 gallon.

I went to a paint store and asked to buy 20 sticks. They said that they didn't have a price for them, so couldn't ring them up. They just smiled and handed them over! The wood on those is top grade, perhaps basswood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts