Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a lead on a Groen DHT/40 gas fired steam kettle. Has anyone used something similar as a wax melter? Looks like the same principle as the Maxant wax melters, and it tips for cleaning. Heck, this thing is big enough to dip hive bodies in...

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
My guess is that it will work great. Congrats!

I took a surplus 40 gallon Cleveland SS soup kettle and converted into a monster honey bottler. I don't use steam (converted it to use a small water heater). Also, I have a friend who is an expert welder and he helped me reconfigure the output so that I could use a standard bottling valve.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I realize this is way overkill for my purposes, I only run around twenty hives, but the price is REAL good. It is currently configured for natural gas, but conversions is what I do as a side job.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Mr. Palmer, if the water/steam jacket does not extend all of the way up, you may have issues. With an agitator, those issues may be circumvented??? Good luck. Please report how it works.

Crazy Roland

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roland, the steam jacket is a 2/3 jacket, but I can't imagine getting enough wax to get even close to extending beyond it. Even still, a mixing paddle and drive motor is available for this unit from the factory. Still need to seal the deal. Guy has it outside in his backyard collecting leaves and rainwater.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
If you are not in a hurry, I am sure it will work. We replaced, for safety reasons, a direct impingment gas fire tank with a water jacketed tank. Both where about 150 gallons. The direct heated could be charged first thing in the morning, lit and melted by noon. Dipping was done mid afternoon. With the jacketed tank, it was loaded one day, and dipped the next.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
515 Posts
I bought a dairy tank from a guy one time, and spied an old steam kettle sitting in the tall grass. Thought of using it as a kind of sump or wax melter, and talked him into selling it to me. Had to do some tig welding to repair a leak from one of the half couplings, but finally got it converted to hot water only to find a leak down in the "drain tube" that I cannot reach.

Now it resides in my shop, as one of those things I hope to get a great idea how to fix, but likely won't, and is 4 sqft of unusable space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts